DA SWITZERLAND NEWSLETTER - JUNE 2014In this newsletter you will find:
A message from the Treasurer and Volunteer Coordinator ›
Upcoming events ›
Past events ›
Committees and task forces ›
A MESSAGE FROM THE CHAIRDear fellow Democrats,
Since signed into law in March 2010, the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) has unleashed a variety of problems for Americans living overseas including the inability to open and/or close bank accounts, punitive fines, and difficulties in the workplace. A strong advocate for non-punitive and sound economic reform in Washington, Democrats Abroad is making progress in its effort to combat negative effects of FATCA, on track to be fully implemented by non-U.S. financial institutions by 1 July.
To read more about the Democrats Abroad FATCA reform effort, the Same Country Exception, click HERE. To be a part of this important process and help these efforts, please consider answering the 2014 FATCA Survey.
There is good news also for Americans who are not yet in compliance with tax filing: The IRS just last week announced more streamlined rules for people to comply with the annual filing rules, with practically no penalties for past lapses. See the IRS announcement here.
We are proud and delighted to announce that Michael E. Parmly has joined the Executive Committee as Member-at-Large – International Policy Issues. With extensive experience in foreign affairs, Michael is a valuable asset for our team.
As always, our most important activity is voter outreach. We are currently seeking volunteers to set up voter registration drives all around Switzerland in anticipation of the 2014 mid-term elections. Voter registration for overseas voters is now a very easy process. The www.votefromabroad.org website created by Democrats Abroad is easy to use. And we are happy to show you how to use it.
A MESSAGE FROM EMILY T. BLITZ, Treasurer and Volunteer CoordinatorSummer is approaching and the word VACATION is on everyone’s mind! But did you notice that VACATION rhymes with DONATION?? Democrats Abroad Switzerland would be thrilled, honored, delighted and pleased to get yours! Bank information is below in case you feel inspired to fund our crucial GOTV efforts. We need to have our coffers full by the end of the summer so we can hit the ground in full swing this fall. When making your donation, don’t forget to put your name in the free text field (for compliance purposes). Only Americans may donate to Democrats Abroad.
Remember: When your Dems donation’s done, Vacation, here you come!
Name on the account: Democrats Abroad
Address: 1290 Versoix
IBAN: CH05 0024 0240 8738 01M1 L BIC: UBSWCHZH80A
If you have any questions, write to email@example.com
Enormous thanks to those who volunteered at this month’s Expat Expo in Basel! If anyone would like to have a turn at this great chance to meet and register Americans this fall at our last two Expat Expos of the year, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org. Interested in other ways to help out?? Let me know! From phone calls to tweeting to research to GOTV, we have tasks of all shapes and sizes. Send your name and contact info to email@example.com.
UPCOMING EVENTSVoter registration available at all events!
Tuesday 1 July in Geneva
Dems Abroad Meet-up and Drinks
Every month we propose a different fun venue around Geneva to meet up in an informal and relaxed atmosphere.
- When: 6:30-8:00pm
- Where: Le Cintra, 8, rue de Madeleine, 1204 Geneva
- RSVP: Anne-Shelton Aaron at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cost: Free entry, drinks and tapas à la carte.
Thursday 3 July in Geneva
Young Democrats of Switzerland
A fun monthly meet-up for under-30 Dems !
- When: 7:00-8:30pm
- Where: Buvette des Bains de Paquis
- Cost: Free entry, à la carte.
- RSVP: Radhika Garland at email@example.com
Fourth of July Celebrations
Friday 4 July in Geneva
The American International Club of Geneva is throwing their annual Independence Day bash with a host of activities for everyone.
- When: 6:00-11:30pm
- Where: Domaine du Pommier, 1218 Grand-Saconnex, Geneva
- Cost AIC Members & immediate family: CHF 25, children 7-16: CHF 12 – Non-Members: CHF 65, children 7-16: CHF 25RSVP and advance payment mandatory
Friday 4 July in Zürich
The American Club of Zurich is throwing their annual picnic. We look forward to seeing you there!
- When: 6:00-11:00pm
- Where: Fork & Bottle restaurant, near Sihl City
- Cost: ACZ Members registered by June 27: CHF 20. All others CHF 45
- RSVP: Go to www.acz.ch, click on “July 4th Registration”
Thursday 17 July in St. Gallen
Meet & Greet and US Voter Registration
The second Meet & Greet in St. Gallen, following up on the success of the last one in May!
- Who: US citizens and their friends
- When: 6:00-8:00pm
- Where: Stars and Stripes American Bar & Restaurant
- Cost: Free admission, food and drinks à la carte
- RSVP: Myrtle Alexander firstname.lastname@example.org
Save the date: Thursday 28 August in Geneva
End-of-summer evening voter-registration event – Fun, drinks and casual dining, along with info on the mid-term elections and opportunity to register to vote. Details to follow.
- Thursday 15 May in St. Gallen, Meet & Greet and U.S. Voter Registration
- Monday 19 May in Geneva, Dallas Buyer's Club DACH Film Night followed by dinner
- AIC Speaker Luncheon, Thursday 28 May in Geneva
- Tim Kaine, United States Senator for Virginia
- Tuesday 3 June in Geneva, Dems Abroad monthly get-together, at Rooftop 42.
- Thursday 5 June in Geneva, Young Democrats of Switzerland, Radhika Garland organized the gathering at Bains de Paquis.
- Sunday 15 June in Geneva, Annual Slugout in the Dugout
|Maya Samara, former Chair, Anne-Shelton Aaron, Chair and Senator Tim Kaine|
|Democrats and Republicans enjoying a good game of fun leading to a Democratic victory 8-2 !|
- Sunday 15 June in Basel, Expat-Expo Basel
|AnnaMaria Fato, Chair and Myrtle P. Alexander, Vice-Chair Zürich Chapter, meeting Americans in Basel and signing up new members!|