Democrats Abroad launch series of public debates. Maya tells us all on Swisster.ch . Check it out!http://www.swisster.ch/en/news/lifestyle/audio-democrats-launch-series-of-public-debates_184-1753756
Friday, May 22, 2009
Thursday, May 21, 2009
Thursday, May 14, 2009
ELECTIONS POSTPONED UNTIL JULY - MORE NEWS COMING SOON...
ZURICH CHAPTER ELECTIONS
Congrats to Zurich, which officially became DACH first Chapter! With Chapter status, Zurich now will hold elections for a Chapter Chair and a Chapter Secretary/Treasurer to lead in the organizing efforts. The Chair will serve on the DACH Executive Committee.
Currently Jennifer Giroux has been the defacto Chair of Zurich during this transition period, however, now it is time for the first DACH Zurich elections! DA Zurich Chapter announces it will hold officer elections on Monday, June 8th during their monthly meeting (location and details TBA).
The Chapter Chair and Secretary/Treasurer will be elected for a two-year term commencing immediately. Only registered DA members living in the Swiss-German speaking region of Switzerland will be allowed to vote and run for one of these two positions. The deadline to declare your candidacy for either Chair or Secretary/Treasury positions is midnight on Sunday May 24th by email to email@example.com. Candidate statements as well as instructions on Internet voting will be sent to all members by email on Monday 25 May.
PLEASE CONSIDER RUNNING FOR DA OFFICE!!!!
This is an historic opportunity to be a part of Zurich's first leadership team!!! Being part of the leadership of DA in Zurich is a great way to be engaged and active in this phenomenal period and President Obama's first term.
Candidates are asked to submit their names and a brief statement of intent (max 500 words) by Sunday May 24th by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will then distribute the information about the candidates and voting procedure to all members by email. Candidates can also be nominated from the floor on the evening of the elections, although last minute candidates will not benefit from the online voting process.
THE MAIN DUTIES OF EACH OFFICER ARE AS FOLLOWS:
Chair: For the Chair of Zurich we are looking for someone that can continue to build the local membership and organize a dynamic group on a regular basis! Upcoming events in the next term include: monthly meetings, special fundraisers, documentary showings, Global Issues Forum, and periodic holiday/thematic events. The candidate should be a dedicated team player who can work with the DACH Executive Committee. For more information contact Chair@democrats.ch
Secretary/Treasurer: We need someone who can, not only support the ZH Chair but also maintain an up-to-date list of chapter members using a database, manage local finances, take minutes at monthly meetings, and send out notices of meetings and special events when necessary. Graphic design and web skills would be particularly helpful, but not a requirement. For further information contact Chair@democrats.ch
On behalf of the entire DACH ExCom, we are looking forward to working with the Zurich leadership to continue to build and expand DA outreach in the Swiss German region.
With best regards,
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
BASEL EXPAT EXPO
Democrats Abroad Switzerland members were out in force Sunday, May 17th for the ExPat expo in Basel. DA signed up new members, informed expo participants about upcoming events around Switzerland, and offered buttons and t-shirts for sale.
Friday, May 8, 2009
As your newly elected Executive Committee (ExCom) of Democrats Abroad Switzerland (DACH), we are excited to get started on the important work ahead. The purpose of this email is to introduce ourselves, inform you of DACH events in May and highlight our online member survey.
However, we first want take a moment to thank the dedicated outgoing ExCom members. During the past two years our membership has grown threefold and we were able to register more voters, raise more money, and participate in grass roots volunteer work that resulted in unprecedented Democratic victories in the US elections. Our outgoing ExCom officers and members at large are:
Caitlin Kraft Buchman – Outgoing Chair – Elected as Member at Large 2009-2011
Michael Copping – Acting Interim Vice Chair – Elected as Vice Chair 2009-2011
Emily Blitz – Outgoing Secretary
Robert Pillar – Outgoing Treasurer
Alan Gladstone – Outgoing Legal counsel
Jennifer Giroux – Outgoing Member at Large – Current Zurich Chapter Chair
Stéphane Mitchell – Outgoing Member at Large – Current Media Relations Suisse Romande
Karen Olson – Outgoing Member at Large
Maya Samara – Outgoing Member at Large – Elected as Chair 2009-2011
DACH has several interesting events and activities planned for the month of May. Next to each is a link to the complete details of the event including all logistical details.
• Wednesday, 13 May 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM, Geneva Documentary Movie Night with discussions on Global Economic Crisis at member’s home. (More info)
• Thursday, 14 May 7:00 PM – 9:30 PM, Zurich Documentary Movie Night on Economy at Chapter Chair’s home. (More info)
• Sunday, 17 May 11:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Basel Expat Expo. Stop by DA table #8 for cocktails w/ DA ExCom & Basel members between 3:30 PM – 4:30 PM Entrance is free! (More info or visit Expat Expo)
• Tuesday, 26 May 6:30 PM – 9:00 PM, Basel Global Issues Forum: Economy – Guest speaker, William R. White from OECD. Venue: The Economics Institute of Basel University. No entry charge. (More info)
• Wednesday, 27 May 6:30 PM – 9:00 PM, Geneva Global Issues Forum: Economy – Guest speaker, Ambassador Peter F. Allgeier, Deputy U.S. Trade Representative to the World Trade Organization. Venue: Intercontinental Hotel Geneva. Registration fee CHF 25 (students CHF 15) (More info)
Penny (or a T-shirt in this case) for your thoughts!
Your input is valuable to us. We would greatly appreciate your completion of the short attached survey expressing your opinions, ideas, and preferences on the types of activities and work that DACH should focus on over the coming months. The survey only takes a few minutes to complete and by participating, you will be eligible for a free drawing for one of three Obama T-Shirts! To take the survey, click on the link below and follow the instructions. The survey closes 30 May 2009 and results will be announced in next month’s DACH e-bulletin. Here’s the link to the survey:
You will find more details on 4 of the issues listed in the survey by clicking on the below links:
Medicare benefits for Americans abroad
Tax Increase Prevention & Reconciliation Act of 2005 (TIPRA)
Uniting American Families Act of 2009 (UAFA)
Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP)
Meet your new ExCom!
Maya Samara – Chair
Originally from New Hampshire, Maya has lived in Switzerland for the last 8 years. In addition to being a member of the DACH ExCom, she was also co-chair of “Geneva for Obama” during the last campaign, coordinating many voter registration and fundraising events and activities. She operates her own professional event planning business. Maya’s email: Chair@democrats.ch
Michael Copping – Vice Chair
Michael moved to Switzerland from California just over a year ago, although Vermont is his home state. He is a marketing consultant with a strong background in publishing and marketing strategy. Michael’s email: Viceemail@example.com
Jessica Brooks – Secretary
Jessica hails from Baltimore, Maryland. She is in Geneva working towards a Master’s in International Affairs. She was active in her college Democrats group and she brings broad database and outreach skills that will help the DACH ExCom be organized and effective. Jessica’s email: Secretary@democrats.ch
Marcus Courtney – Treasurer
A native of Montana, Marcus came to Geneva from Seattle, Washington, where he founded a union representing telecommunications employees. He was also heavily involved in legislative initiatives at the state level. A Geneva resident for just under a year, he works with a global union that represents telecommunications employees. Marcus’ email: Treasurer@democrats.ch
Daniel Crosby – Legal Counsel
Daniel brings more than 15 years of legal and international policy experience to the DACH ExCom. He will ensure technical compliance with our Bylaws while framing potential amendments that reflect and encourage DACH’s evolution. Daniel’s email: Legal@democrats.ch
Caitlin Kraft Buchman – Member at Large
Caitlin has been the leading force of DACH for the last 4 years as Chair. She is also an elected member of the Democratic National Committee, serving a 4-year term through 2012. Her contacts and experience are an invaluable resource for our ExCom and for DACH as we grow and prepare for the 2010 mid term elections. Caitlin’s email: Caitlin@democrats.ch
Tristan Zand – Member at Large
A physician and specialist in medical informatics with experience in the broadcast industry, Tristan is our ExCom’s technology guru. He’ll help DACH utilize the latest in communication technologies to increase our effectiveness across the country. Tristan grew up in California, although Switzerland has been his home for the last 20 years or so. Tristan’s email: Tristan@democrats.ch
Jennifer Giroux – Chair – Zurich Chapter
Jennifer is a social scientist with an education in Anthropology and International Affairs working in Zurich. She has been extremely active with DACH, starting the first chapter of DACH for the German speaking part of Switzerland. Jennifer’s email: Zurich@democrats.ch
We look forward to seeing you at one of the many events planned in May and hearing from you via the survey!
Chair, Democrats Abroad Switzerland
Friday, May 1, 2009
Democrats Abroad Switzerland
CALENDAR OF UPCOMING EVENTS
- Tuesday 12 May, 8pm-10pm, ExCom meeting, Geneva & Call-in
- Wednesday 13 May at 19:00, Geneva: Documentary Movie & Discsussion evening on the Global Economic Crisis. PBS FRONTLINE series, Inside the Meltdown at member’s home.
- Thursday 14 May at 19:00, Zurich: Documentary Movie & Discsussion evening on the Global Economic Crisis. PBS FRONTLINE series, Inside the Meltdown at at Chapter Chair’s home.
- Sunday 17 May, Basel Expat Expo Table #8 from 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM. Cocktails w/ ExCom, new and old DA members from 3:30 - 4:30 PM.
- Wednesday 20 May at 18:30, Vaud: Documentary Movie & Discsussion evening on the Global Economic Crisis. PBS FRONTLINE series, Inside the Meltdown at member’s home in Bursins, VD.
- Sunday 24 May - Deadline for candidate statements for Zurich Chapter elections. Email statements to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monday 25 May – Candidates for Zurich Chapter election announced and voting open.
- Tuesday 26 May at 18:30, Basel : Global Issues Forum, "The Global Economic Crisis: Causes, Consequences and Cures". Guest speaker: William R. White, Chair of Economics Development and Review Committee of the OECD. Venue: The Economics Institute of Basel University, Peter Merian Weg 6 – Trams 10 & 11. Tram stop: Peter Merian.
- Wednesday 27 May at 18:30, Geneva: Global Issues Forum on the Economy. Guest speaker: Ambassador Peter Allgeier, U.S. Ambassador to the World Trade Organization. Venue: Intercontinental Hotel Geneva. Registration by Monday 25 May. Cost: CHF 25 or for students/ unemployed: CHF 15
- Wednesday 3 June at 19:00, Basel: Basel Dems Workshop on Economic Issues Kickoff Meeting. RSVP and for more info: email@example.com
- Sunday 7 June from 20:00 to 22:00: ExCom meeting, Geneva & Call-in
- Monday 8 June, Zurich Chapter meeting. Venue & Time: TBC. Elections postponed until July
- Tuesday 30 June, Zurich Global Issues Forum: Changing Energy Landscape. Guest speaker: Robert Orttung, senior fellow at the Jefferson Institute and a visiting scholar at the Center for Security Studies at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) in Zurich. Venue & Time: TBC.
June 2009: US Mission Town Hall organized by US. Mission in collaboration with Democrats Abroad, Republicans Abroad, American International Club, American Women’s Club, and American Citizens Abroad.